Job Description: Vice President
The California Council for Environmental and Economic Balance (CCEEB) is seeking a qualified individual to fill the role of vice president. Founded in 1973 by the late Governor Edmund G. “Pat” Brown, CCEEB is a non-profit, non-partisan, 501(c)(4) organization headquartered in San Francisco, California. Successful applicants would work primarily from our headquarters, although travel within California would be frequent. CCEEB also hosts the California Environmental Dialogue (CED), a special project of the board. More information on CCEEB and CED is available online at www.cceeb.org and www.cedlink.org.
The vice president reports directly to the CCEEB president and CEO, and, as part of the executive management team, also receives strategic direction from the CCEEB Board of Directors. The vice president works with the president to help carry out the strategic goals of the organization. This involves the continuation of CCEEB’s strong presence addressing legislative and regulatory issues through its five core projects; three projects focus on activity at state environmental agencies and the legislature, and two regional projects focus on activity at the Bay Area and South Coast air districts. The strategic goals also look to expand CCEEB’s base by bringing in new members and sectors, as well as drawing greater involvement from our labor membership. The vice president would be expected to provide executive oversight at project meetings located in Sacramento, San Francisco, and Diamond Bar, and assist the president with advocacy, membership development, policy development, and overall operations at the Council.
- Relevant legislative and/or regulatory experience with a minimum of ten years of proven and verifiable success. Preference given to those with expertise in energy, climate, air quality, water quality, natural resources, or hazardous materials, but exception would be given to those with a strong background in other environmental policy or public policy areas.
- Ability to build and support diverse coalitions. CCEEB is comprised of business, labor, and public sector leaders. The ideal candidate must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively across our tripartite coalition, with a strong sense of how interests can converge or diverge, and the ability to build consensus. CCEEB also works closely with environmental and environmental justice advocacy groups, particularly through our work at CED. Successful candidates must be able to positively engage and build lasting relationships with all stakeholders.
- Ability to manage and lead a nimble and sophisticated team of staff and consultants. CCEEB staff and consultants are among the most respected in California, and widely considered experts in their respective areas and duties. The vice president must be responsive and respectful, harnessing their immense energy while letting them get the job done.
- Experience facilitating large meetings and events, including agenda development and speaker selection. Depending on the candidate’s experience, the vice president may assume some project management responsibilities, including leading project meetings and implementing project work plans. Additionally, CCEEB hosts two weeklong policy conferences each year, one in July and one in either November or December. The vice president would be required to attend both events and play a leadership role facilitating panel discussions. Because of the intensive preparation involved, vacation leave is strongly discouraged from June through mid-July.
- Ability to engage and recruit new partners and members. The vice president will need to work closely with the president and CCEEB staff to engage policy and thought leaders for strategic partnerships with the Council, as well as the recruitment and retention of member organizations and board directors. Preference will be given to those with existing relationships with labor organizations, environmental organizations, and/or companies working within the renewable energy, high tech, or goods movement sectors.
- Mastery of marketing, media and public relations. Ideally, the vice president would play a leadership role in developing marketing materials and refining the CCEEB “voice” through our website, external communications, and media relations. CCEEB seeks someone who can bring fresh eyes and experience.
- Degree in one or more of the following areas: law, engineering, economics, environmental science, or public health. Ideally, the vice president would have the qualifications and well-honed writing skills to author technical white papers and opinion pieces on topics of relevance to the Council.
CCEEB’s Mission is to craft policy solutions that achieve our environmental and economic goals in a balanced and rational fashion and effectively advocate those policies to other stakeholders and elected and appointed decision makers.
CCEEB believes that California’s goals for a healthy environment and a strong economy are inextricably linked and interdependent.
CCEEB’s approach is based upon collaboration and consensus building, both internally among its members and with external stakeholders and decision makers.
CCEEB’s success in advocacy is based upon its credibility as a trusted source of information and its ability to develop practical and insightful approaches to solve our most pressing environmental problems.
Compensation is based on experience; good benefits.
Email cover letter and resume to
by February 10, 2019